Friday, September 11, 2009

A New Name

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose,
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd..."
according to Juliet, anyway. Her simple words are enough to convince the star-crossed lover to exclaim, "Call me but love, and I'll be new baptiz'd; Henceforth I never will be Romeo" (II.ii.45-47, 53-54).

Ahh... if it were so easy. Are our names truly so insignificant? Would Juliet make the same argument mere days later when she became Juliet Capulet Montague, her name altered by that which she came so much to love? According to her previous reasoning, Juliet would be Juliet, regardless of Capulet, regardless of Montague, regardless of the alphabetical scribbles we take on that seem to define us. Could Romeo (the person) be anymore constant than Romeo (the name)?

I doubt the young Capulet knew that we shed skin cells like snakes. According to our own biology, by the time we are twenty years old, we will have replaced our skin cells nearly 200 times over (ASU, par. 10). So, by the time we are just coming to know ourselves, we have already worn 200 different skins. But do we ever really shed our souls? American author, Annie Dillard is always startled to rediscover the old self she had somehow forgotten. At every shocking realization she exclaims, "You again" (11).

At the end of living through hundreds of different skins, through seemingly hundreds of different lives, she notes:

Your very cells have been replaced, and so have most of your feelings--except for two, two that connect back as far as you can remember. One is the chilling sensation of lowering one foot into a hot bath. The other [...] when you feel the chill spread inside your shoulders, shoot down your arms and rise to your lips, and when you remember having felt this sensation from always, from when your mother lifted you down toward the bath and you curled up your legs: it is the dizzying overreal sensation of noticing that you are here. You feel life wipe your face like a big brush. (249)

I felt the broad brush stroke just last week, when the not-so-shocking realization came that my driver's license expired. Upon arriving at the Office of Motor Vehicles and handing the attendant my former driver's license, the woman curtly informed me that an impediment had been put on my record because of what else? My name. I needed my birth certificate. In Idaho, the court dictates what name you will be given--and they stick with birth names.

Rewind to that time when I was an infant, hurling downward into a baby's first bath. For nearly twenty-six years since then, my given name held true: Angela Heather McRae. Then, although I had already shed at least 200 different skins, I yearned for a new shape--to be called not just friend, sister, daughter, but wife. The updated social security card and Utah driver's license read Heather McRae Bosworth. Renewal. Why did I shed Angela, I ask myself now. Too long was probably the strongest argument--that and wanting to be defined by family, by history. Unlike fickle Juliet, we look for our names to define us. Still, I sat in shock at the DMV, greeting my long-lost self. Hello again, Angela. Where have you been the past seven years? I tilted my face upward. Swipe.

Romeo and Juliet got a lot wrong, even if you are part of that sickening romantic audience that believes they got one thing right. We cannot merely be who we have always been--without life's experiences marking us! Otherwise, what would be the point of life? We are composed of our given names and of more than our given names. We are made up of life. How else could Juliet exclaim, "Oh happy dagger!" (V.iii.169-170)? How else "happy" without the addition of Montague to her graphemic roll call? How else without first knowing and loving Romeo?

So, Juliet Capulet Montague was the same person and yet a changed person from just Juliet Capulet. Who, then, is this new person--this same person--on my driver's license? As I sat at Motor Vehicles, vacillating between the options of Angela H. McRae Bosworth, Angela Heather Bosworth, Angela H. M. Bosworth, I struggled to understand what happened to Heather McRae... and what happened to Heather Bosworth--without realizing, as I do now, that I am who I have always been, though changed. I settled with the office attendant for Angela Heather M. Bosworth (because anything longer wouldn't fit on the license), even though I still struggle to remember who Angela is. She's a vague, misty ghost--one that whispers memories of angels and another retired name: Sora McRae, who once lived in the Transylvanian countryside of Romania. Part of my consecrated mission as an eternal soul and as a human being, is living up to Angela, in ways too sacred to relate, if sometimes difficult to remember.

My latest trip to Motor Vehicles taught me that I
am still Angela, that I have always been Angela... but that (due to three angelic little creatures I grew inside this constantly shedding skin), I am also, and on some level always will be, Bosworth. Those two names, tacked onto opposite ends of my center, are no less relevant, no less a part of me. I am who I always have been; I am who I was at birth. I am. I remain. I persist. But my experiences shape me. I am member, teacher, spirit, daughter, cousin, niece, sister, mother, griever, guide.

As I legally drove back from the State offices last week, I couldn't help but gape at the expiration date on my new card: 2017?! Surely the world will end by then! And yet often life surprises us with the most unlikely occurrences. So, whether the world ends in eight years or not, I know this: the world will be a different place--and a vastly similar one. We embark and we arrive back home.



Works Cited

ASU. "Building Blocks of Life." Ask a Biologist. 14 Sept. 2009. 17 Sept

Dillard, Annie. An American Childhood. Harper & Row: New York, 1987.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Heather. Your Dad told me about your blog. It's amazing. You are very talented. I was one of your Dad's design students a long while back and went on the Italy, Greece, and Turkey trip and you were there, but I doubt you remember me.

    I'm sorry that you are going through this. This post isn't anything that I would have ever thought about until now. How difficult that day must have been. You're in my prayers. From knowing you a few years back, I know you are a neat and very strong person. Please e-mail me if you ever need help. I'm closer in distance than your parents here in the same town as you. Please take me up on it. I'm good for it. :) lish_20@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrestled with my name after I got married. I just couldn't bear to wipe the name Creek off of my card. But then I wasn't going to be a Creek anymore, was I? But yes, I was still going to be a Creek and I was going to be a Tanner, as well. I must have sat there for 45 minutes trying to decide what I wanted my name to be. People sifted in and out and I was aware of each one because I was conscious of how long it was taking me to decide who I was going to be. At long last, I came to the conclusion that I needed to use all four of my names, Heather Marie Creek Tanner, because that is who I am. That was a long 45 minutes. I love reading your blog, Heather. I've missed our conversations we used to have and now I can read conversations you are having with yourself (and with us, in a small way) and enjoy them again. It's good to be back in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    You are an impressive writer and a
    great person. Your strength amazes me.
    Love you
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Names are a big deal. I went through the same identity crisis as a newylwed--suddenly I didn't know who I was anymore. Heaven knows, hyphenation was not an option for Miriam Stacy Murdock-Higginbotham. We seriously considered Romeo's option: Ryan taking my last name. But then I'd be married to "Ryan Murdock," which is my brother's name, and that's just too creepy.

    And as far as church records go, they don't even give you a choice! Your name changes before you walk out those temple doors! I was going to be Sister Higginbotham whether I liked it or not.

    So, yes, I'm all of those names. They may not be able to squeeze all those letters on a Social Security Card or on the ward roster, but those aren't the things that define who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every morning when the person in the mirror gazes back at me with puffy eyes, mussed hair, and a head full of too many thoughts to organize, I wonder just exactly who that person is. Names have nothing to do with it. As Miriam recounted, we leave that sacred edifice with a different name, and usually one that sounds just a bit foreign. It's like a code, but I still don't see it defining me. On the other hand, when Terry went to T.L., as I started business in Boise, it was as though I became a new person. Conclusion...names sometimes do define us. Well, psychologically they do. It actually is all very confusing, and leaves me with the feeling that I really don't know who I am after all.
    Your blog this time was far too serious for me, but never the less, so very impressive. Very deep, and yet, I can imagine that at this particular time in your life, the name becomes a big issue. Megan and I commented that you seem, well, much like your old self lately. Although, you are different, more wisdomed from the trials, you are also more who Heather is, I think. Of course, you never will be the original Angela Heather McRae, but neither will I be Terry McRae again. Regardless of our names, we shed those skins and become different with each new experience, and wasn't that the reason that we entered that sacred edifice, and the reason why we are here challenged as we are? And, the mother part that you are three times, you do very well.

    ReplyDelete