Sunday, September 20, 2009

The EMP

Seventeen years ago this month, I listened to an ordained patriarch tell me about my life. Ever since that day (due to allusions of tumultuous times) I thought I would live through some horrendous last-days episode--you know, the ones you play out in your mind where bombs explode in open fields and you have to travel cross-country to colonize with other survivors, filtering your own drinking water, growing gardens and hunting to remain alive. For some reason, I always imagined myself as a widow, but with some older, protective son and a brood of children, battling through the physical trials and hardships of a telestial world together. In my dream-vision, I felt strong.

The feeling subsided as I began my own family in earnest. Why would I want to believe anything could harm them? I focused on the typical Christian goals: get married, have children, support your husband, nurture your family, serve--yet somewhere in the middle of all this, I lost a portion of my strength. Perhaps I just misplaced it. Then, nearly two years ago, my parents began re-implanting the final days' scenarios through talk of a church series aptly entitled, The Great and Terrible. Though the series delivered somewhere in the middle, only to take a nosedive near the end, one element intrigued us all: the EMP.

EMP stands for electromagnetic pulse, and in Chris Stewart's end-of-days drama, it takes out every kind of electric energy as well as cell phones and car batteries. Set off by a nuclear warhead detonated in the upper atmosphere, the EMP brings man back to the Dark Ages. Chaos rules from Washington D.C. to California. As power-hungry political players make grabs at the government of an already devastated nation, the average American is left to simply survive. Engrossed by the series, I told Duane we needed to bulk up and get tough, to be able to pick up one of our kids (as Johnny Depp once mentioned in an interview) and run for a mile while hauling them. Imagining highways full of abandoned vehicles and city streets taken over by gangs, I started running again--just around the block. I began lifting weights and reinvesting in the mile. At the urging of both parents and family, I stored more food, filling cupboards and the garage with powdered milk, soup and pudding mixes, flour, sugar, dried beans and peanut butter. We ordered dried fruit and dehydrated eggs for Christmas, along with flashlights that required no batteries, hand-operated wheat mills, propane burners, and water purifiers.

What I never realized in all of this planning was that the EMP I so feverishly anticipated was of quite a different caliber than the one described in Stewart's book series, and in some ways, more impacting. The EMP hinted at in my future was already living in my house. I had been sleeping next to it for years. I'd even been adapting my cooking to feed its peculiar appetite. How could I have been so stupid?! It had been giving off little warning signals--a ticking, a soft beeping--for the past seven years, like some type of active bomb... Finally, it exploded.

Now, instead of imagining missiles and tsunamis, I wonder how many of the battles and wars of the last days we will fight in our own neighborhoods and in our own homes. How many of us will lose friends, husbands, sons, daughters, parents, siblings in that struggle? And why do people like I wait for some catastrophic, physical event to occur, although the disintegration of society is well underway all around us? Still, one correlation between intimate EMPs and public--even global--natural disasters that cannot be denied is the inborn compulsion to survive, to heal, and to live again. When disaster strikes, and you raise your head out of the pounding surf, if you find the boon of friendly faces when you look about you, you take hold of those hands, you pull yourself up, and you begin again. If I've learned anything in the past couple months, it is to hold firmly. Hold onto friendly hands; hold to the things you know to be true--those things that remain throughout and even after the storm.


Works Cited

Stewart, Chris. The Second Sun. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2007.

6 comments:

  1. Heather...I just love you. When I read your posts, I read them like I'm starving and when I get to the end, I hope for more---like when I want to eat yet another piece of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. Hurry up and write that book. Finish it. Do whatever...so I can read more and have it sit on my bookshelf. Now, how selfish is that? I admit, very. As for the decorations at my house, they are a string of orange lights I bought at Target, an owl I bought there about 3 years ago, a little foam and glitter sign that says, "spooky" from Target (bout this year and hung with some fishing line), and some metal pigs I bought 7 years ago at Pier 1. That's it. I wanted to go simple this year. Usually I go a little crazy and put tons of stuff up, but this year, I suddenly felt like simplifying and that was what I came up with. I also have some regular white Christmas lights that I decorated with silk flowers from Michael's up on the armoire. I pulled the silk flowers apart and stuck them on the light bulbs. I'll have to take a picture of that since that explanation isn't all that enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh...I meant bought not bout. Or like my kids say...boughten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! My kids say boughten too. And thanks for comparing me to pumpkin pie... it's truly one of the highest compliments in my mind, and I'm not being sarcastic here. I love fall food.

    So, I'll be breaking down and trying to figure out Halloween decor soon. Hopefully I can be creative, but it might mostly be orange lights. I'll keep looking at your pictures and trying to invent something fun for the kids, and let's admit it, me too. Target, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're SO good. I need everyone I know to read your amazing writing! I love that about how Johnny Depp ran with his kids. Ever since you told me that (a long long time ago) I've always imagined you to do the same. You ARE that strong person that you imagined yourself being when you read your blessing...and don't forget it!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is such an interesting take- i never though about "food storage" in that way. you are an amazing writer. have you ever heard of adsense? its a feature you can put on your blog that puts advertisements on the side bar and you can get money when people click them. Go to monetize in your dashboard. I dont know too much about it but I have some friends who do it and it seems good. just thought i'd pass the word along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lacey! I just figured I would have to have a big following to do something like that. Will check it out! Love you, babe. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete