Friday, October 21, 2011

A Year of Annie Dillard :)

Book club, my house, this past Friday on Annie Dillard's An American Childhood--and not one soul showed their face. (You know who you are!) In truth, their absence was a gift. Spurred by a recent breakup, I started reading. Within 15 minutes, reading drove me to writing. The non-arrival of my book club members was divine intervention of a sort. I woke up through the pages of Dillard's text... Oh, my voice called out through the pages, it's "You again!" (12).

For me, Dillard's book is about rediscovering how to live a vibrant life through the unblinking eyes of childhood. She notes, "Everywhere, things snagged me. The visible world turned me curious to books; the books propelled me reeling back to the world" (160). Dillard (and recent life experiences) have "propelled me reeling back to the world," despite Doctorate classes, managerial work, and single motherhood with three young kids--or perhaps because of those things, I've been given a second look at life.

In my reawakening, I began wondering: What if I read a few pages of Dillard each week and then acted on what I read, much like the once fascinating descriptions of rocks drove me to geology and camp-outs in Southern Utah? If Annie was playing guitar, I would pick up the dusty Acoustic from the basement and pluck out "Fearless Heart," like my favorite missionary companion used to play before bed. Then, I would write about it. I would find a way to push past the fenced boarders of my life--graduate school, packed lunches, TGL Reports--and remember what it felt like to live. This I've determined to do.

Annie examines life. She examines it even as she lives it. She awakens and reawakens to find herself on different areas of the globe, under a different set of constellations, and she muses about connections between all those different spaces in time. I'm trying to do the same. Where was I last year, the year before? Stumbling? I do not stumble tonight. Tonight I write under a dark grey roof, Orion on the east horizon, Gemini bordering his arm, and Taurus above, with his red eye, Aldebaran, gazing down. His beauty marks me, and I transcend Annie's pages. What more will I yet discover in this world?

Prologue: Let Reading Go to Your Head


In 1955, when Dillard was ten years of age, her father left on a river trip that would take him from their home in Pittsburgh, down the Mississippi to New Orleans--a place he hoped would revitalize his predictable life with rough, hot, jazz (6-7). What prompted the trip? The book, Life on the Mississippi. I hate to open those pages lest I find myself on a river trip as well. Dillard's father quit his job, packed his boat, and left home with a whistle on his lips. Though he only made it as far as Louisville, Frank Doak and his daughter, Annie, teach us something in the story: Don't live a life of regret. Dillard's every word beckons readers to reawaken, reexamine, reinvest, and remember what it means to live.

Let reading go to your head. Imagine, invent, fantasize--then act. Try it, and I'll try it along with you.

Next week--Prologue (3-5): Imprinting the Land

3 comments:

  1. I remember years ago when we were rooming together, you mentioned that you really loved Annie Dillard. I searched high and low for Pilgrim at Tinker Creek in the used bookstores for years. I never found it. But a few years ago I ran across An American Childhood. I think I skipped to the register after enthusiastically punching the air. Finally! I found her! I read it in about a week in the small times I could carve out between all the packed lunches and laundry. I loved it. Sometimes I felt a bit like I was drowning in what she was saying. It was swirling all around me but I couldn't find anything to grab onto for reference. Sometimes my feet would get tangled in the words and I'd trip. Other times it was like a little voice was speaking quietly and directly to my heart. I vowed I would read it again a couple of years later with new eyes. With eyes that had more experience. Maybe I will join in with your reading experiment. But first I have to get my book back from my MIL. I'd love to talk over ideas and feelings once in a while. I haven't had someone to chat with about those things in years. Welcome back, Heather. I've truly missed your blogging and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather--I love how you describe wading through Dillard's words. I've felt that way at different times. I think her writing is partly poetic--and I just love that. It's funny the little things we discover about ourselves. Can't wait to chat with you more. I'm also thinking of visiting Oregon this spring/summer. What say ye?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say, absolutely yes! There is no try, only do. I'd love to see you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete